Prevention of swine flu, do give a read,
The only portals of entry are the nostrils and mouth/throat. In a global epidemic of this nature, it’s almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.
While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced (instead of focusing on how to stock N95 or Tamiflu):
1. Frequent hand-washing (well highlighted in all official communications).
2. “Hands-off-the-face” approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face (unless you want to eat, bathe or slap).
3. * Gargle twice a day with warm salt water (use Listerine if you don’t trust salt)… * H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/ nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. In a way, gargling with salt water has the same effect on a healthy individual that Tamiflu has on an infected one. Don’t underestimate this simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method.
4. Similar to 3 above, * clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm salt water. * Not everybody may be good at Jala Neti or Sutra Neti (very good Yoga asanas to clean nasal cavities), but * blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population. *
Take nasyam with anu-tailam or badam rogan
5. * Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C (Amla and other citrus fruits). * If you have to supplement with Vitamin C tablets, make sure that it also has Zinc to boost absorption.
6. * Drink as much of warm herbal decoction (recipe included) as you can. * Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm. it is one of the great immuno-modulators. tried and tested to boost your immunity. incase of viral infections
kadha recipe/herbal decoction – tulsi leaves 2-3, haldi powder or kachchi haldi 1/4 spoon, giloy/amrut/guduchi powder 1 spoon, kali mirch/black pepper 2 daane, boli with 2 cups of water reduce to 1 cup divide into four parts, everyone in the family should take it. one might add jaggery according to taste.